I’m finding it extremely difficult to stay indoors and pack when all I want to do is walk up and down Main and Market Streets, wander into the woods and along the trails, hike out to Arch Rock and Sugar Loaf, climb up to Fort Holmes, and stare out across the Straits from Sunset Rock . . . just one more time.
Coming back next summer is a no-brainer, but we’re having a pretty hard time finding a spot to roost for two months. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you choose to look at it), the condo selling so late in the season left us struggling to find accommodations – most of which have already been filled. A couple of places have been offered, but for one reason or another, we’ve turned them down – rent too high, not enough room for Maddie and Bear and the worry their barking would be disruptive, and the months we want not being available. It’s been a lot more difficult than we thought it would be. We’re still waiting to hear from one other place, but it will probably be later in the winter when we find out the terms on that one.
But – we’re being optimistic. If push comes to shove, we can always book a hotel room at the Chip for a couple of weeks and kennel Maddie and Bear. We would hate doing that, but . . . . .
I had cleared my calendar for Friday through Tuesday and told Ted I HAD to get serious about packing. But then we made an appointment to go look at a house up in Trillium Heights with our realtor and Mike Gamble, an island builder – so off we went at noon to meet them. Why are we looking at a house, you ask? I wish I could answer that question with some clarity, but just let me say this . . . we’re still keeping all our options open and trying to figure out what doors are closed, what doors are open, and what doors God is still planning to cut in the wall of our lives. So we went and looked at a house . . . but no bells and whistles went off, and that door closed.
After our appointment we walked downtown and ate lunch again at Mighty Mack (Mighty Mac has had several days this last week or so when they’ve donated their proceeds to the Save Our Statue campaign). Ted biked home, and Jill walked me almost home before having to return for the second part of her split shift.
Jill went back to work, and I got home in time to join Ted in walking Maddie and Bear. As you can see, I’m using any excuse I can find NOT to pack.
THE REST OF THE WEEKEND
It was a really busy weekend for the Island – there was the Great Turtle Race, bringing in 3,000 runners, and it was also the weekend of the “adult” Halloween party downtown. I missed them both this year (finally got serious about packing), but thanks to Ted and Jill, I do have some photos for you!
Saturday night downtown was crazy, and all the photos below were taken by Jill – thank you very much, my trusty assistant! Every year I think, “There’s no way the ideas can get any better,” and every year – I’m wrong.
A COUPLE MORE FROM JILL
After spending the majority of Saturday and Sunday packing, I’m about 98% done. Tomorrow Ted will take more boxes downtown to ship, then make a trip across to start loading the car with luggage already packed. We’ll spend most of Monday and Tuesday cleaning. We close on the condo Tuesday, and the plan now is to leave on the 11 a.m. ferry Wednesday.
It’s very hard to say what I’m feeling right now. I’m still praying for clarity and for peace, but for some reason the clarity is eluding me, and the peace hasn’t filled my heart. The one thing I do know is I’m longing for friends I haven’t seen for six months and for our sweet little lake house. Maybe there, clarity and peace will come. I pray so.