Oh. My. Goodness. What an incredible few days on the roller coaster this has been.
Our emotions have been so raw, our thoughts so scattered, and our outlook so mixed we have found it hard to even come close to having a normal day yet. We’ve rethought all our plans – second guessing everything. In the process of trying to find something on the island to rent for two months, we’ve discovered there just isn’t a lot to choose from . . . not if two dogs are involved. And I don’t blame people for that – they have no way of knowing our dogs are perfect :). So we continue to search for a spot to rent, as we pack a little each day.
I might as well go ahead and confess we’ve also looked at four houses on the Island in the last two days. In the hours and hours of conversation Ted and I have had, we’ve come to the conclusion that all this just happened too fast for us. We honestly felt the condo wouldn’t sell for 3-5 years. For it to sell in one season can only be the workings of God . . . giving us one last season, but closing the door on our condo as our second home. We have to remember God works in His own time, and His time is perfect.
We have finally admitted we have just got to step back, pack up, leave the island at the end of the month, and go home to Georgia. There, in our sweet little house by the water, we will be away from the emotional pull of Mackinac that draws us so strongly – as we talk with friends, walk the trails and streets, and prepare to pass our blessed little condo on to Steve and Cindy. We’ve spent quite a lot of time talking with them this week, and we love them already. They have such a desire to live here and become part of this community, and I know they are going to be incredibly happy. We are excited for them! Cindy melted my heart this morning when she told me, during a phone conversation, “We’d looked at so many places over the past months, but nothing seemed right. Then we walked into your condo, and we instantly felt at home.”
So that’s how things stand right now. We’ve eased back into our original plan, except instead of waiting until we sell our lake house to look for something in Florida, we’re going to begin looking as soon as we get home and settled. We need to test the waters on the market from Amelia Island all the way down the east coast of Florida to New Smyrna Beach. If we find a place where we “instantly feel at home”, we may go ahead and buy. From there the plan changes once more. We’ll put the house in Georgia on the market, and when it sells (1 – ? years), we might see if we can find a little house on the Island. As Ted says, “We just don’t know if we’re ready to not be Mackinac residents.” In the meantime, we’ll continue to search for a place to rent which will allow our furbabies to tag along.
One more thing. I will never in a gazillion years be able to thank y’all enough for your comments on all this. I’ve read and re-read them through eyes blurry with tears. Some of you made some great points and suggestions, which we will ponder. But most of all, you reminded us that we need to leave it all in God’s hands. He’s working on everything for us, and even though we have our plan, it might not be His. But His will be perfect.
OK! Enough of all that for tonight. I have PICTURES! Some are from the past few days, and some are from our dog walk this afternoon. All the rain and wind over the last four days blew a few of our leaves down before their time, but we still have plenty left – so COME ON UP!
Now see. I just had a moment. As I typed “they’ll be ready in the Spring”, I realized I won’t be here to see the finished product until later in the summer. I’m really having trouble accepting that – but I know I have to. Sigh.
DOG WALK ON TUESDAY
That’s all for today. Tomorrow we have an electrician (our hot water heater went out today) and a house inspector coming. Then lunch with two great friends, Sue and Terry Conlon. Hmmmm . . . I can always pack some more on Thursday!
See you in a few days! God bless.