Good Day Sunshine! Sunshine On My Shoulders! Walking on Sunshine!
Are you catching my theme here?
If the first few days of last week were about as dark and stormy as they could get, the last few days have more than made up for them! We’ve had sunshine, blue skies, and not a cloud in the sky. It’s still a little chilly, but nothing an extra layer won’t fix.
Blue sky, sunshine, flowers bloomin’, children say-in’ hello. Row boats, bird notes, People smilin’ everywhere that they go!
My 15-minutes walking excursion on Friday didn’t seem to set my foot back, so I was rarin’ to go when we had the opportunity to go over to Cedarville Saturday with friends Orietta and Steve – and their teenage neighbor Max. Ted had sailed with Steve last fall from the Mackinac Island Marina to the Viking Boat Harbor to take their sailboat out of the water for winter. Now it was time to sail it back to Mackinac.
The boat was in the water, and while the guys puttered around getting ready to sail, I noticed some activity out at the end of the dock.
Just a note on Steve and Orietta. They will be leaving the Island for a year, beginning in July. They are off to Tanzania as doctors with the Peace Corps. What an awesome opportunity to serve others!
The Sunday-before-Memorial-Day service at Little Stone Church is always touching, and today was no different. Island veterans Donald “Duck” Andress and Ben Horn have presented the colors at the service for the last six years, representing the Island’s American Legion Post 299.
After the presentation of the colors, a wreath was brought to the altar – in memory of all soldiers who have laid down their lives for their country. Our minister, Dr. Vince Carroll, who served in the Vietnam War, spoke on his experiences in that country as a Naval Chaplain. Every pew was filled this morning as worshippers gave thanks to our veterans.
SO MUCH TO COME!
There is so much coming up this week that I’m having to make lists on the calendar so I don’t forget something! Here’s a few things about to happen . . .
Monday – Memorial Day service at the Post Cemetery and downtown
- Monday evening – Ted and I are going out to dinner with Cindy Irish and her husband. Cindy is a writer who reads Bree’s Blog – both on the Island and in south Georgia. She wants to talk to us about a fictional town she is using in her next book that will be based on someplace very near and dear to Ted and I (more to come on that)!
- Tuesday – Bear FINALLY gets bathed and groomed, so I’ll be off-island all day.
- Wednesday – Volunteering for Shepler’s as they welcome 1,300+ Detroit Chamber of Commerce representatives to the Island.
- Thursday – Resting (I hope)
- Friday – Back to Shepler’s as the Detroit Chamber leaves the Island
- Saturday – Resting (I hope)
- Sunday – BIG, BIG, BIG DAY! Lowell and Faye Greene arrive on Mackinac for the first time in 26 years. And boy do they have some surprises waiting for them. I cannot WAIT to write this story (MUCH more to come on that)!
It will be at least Tuesday night before I publish again. We’ll see how the week is going at that point and go from there. Have a great Memorial Day on Monday and, if you’re traveling, stay safe! God bless.