Happy Valentine’s Day, and hello from the . . . . . fairly cold South! We’ve had a few days of early morning 20’s (even had a fire in the stove one morning) and high temps in the 50’s. In other words, it’s felt like wintertime down here since the weekend, and that’s a good thing!
Ya’ll will have to forgive me tonight, but I’m going to kind of throw together this post. It’s been a crazy week here. I was summoned for jury duty on Monday, and even though I haven’t been called yet, I spent Monday AND Tuesday at the Americus courthouse, have to go back on Wednesday, and now I’m trying to get out the door with my Sweetie for Valentine’s dinner at my favorite ri’vah restaurant, Daphne’s.
Sooooo . . . . . here’s a little news and some great photos and links for you to check out!
- You know that little shop I talk about and shop in all summer on the Island – Little Luxuries? Well, oh my gosh, Nicole (the owner) now has her store online, and you can shop till you drop from the comfort of your home (but ONLY if you’re not on the island – if you’re ON the island, for sure GO TO THE STORE!). Nicole says she’s a little short on merchandise right now, but by the time the store reopens May 1st her web site will be filled with all kinds of goodies you can order online. Some of my favorite things are already available! You can get started by going to the link below the logo.
- With the price of gasoline climbing higher and higher, Forbes Magazine did a study and came up with the Best Car-Free Destinations. Guess what Island made the list! Read the article here: http://www.forbes.com/sites/anniefitzsimmons/2012/02/10/americas-best-car-free-destinations/
- This isn’t specifically about Mackinac Island (but it IS about Michigan), and some of you might have already seen this on the NBC news the other night. We all know that this winter we’ve been getting some spectacular Northern Lights displays. If you think they’re beautiful from earth, you should see them from the International Space Station! The very first video on the link below clearly shows Detroit and Chicago and the outline of the state of Michigan in the night sky. Jaw-droppingly (is that a word?) awesome! http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/02/07/10344463-aurora-extravaganza-glows-in-space.
- Hurray for Tony Lucca, a Michigan musician who has performed on Mackinac Island many, many times. He’s been chosen on The Voice! Video here of his story and his appearance on a recent Today Show: http://tonylucca.com/
- There’s a great new video out on the Festival of the Horse, with footage from the 2011 festival. Watch it here: http://vimeo.com/28944420
- OK – This is HUGE! Remember the photos and video from Vera Bradley posted a couple of weeks ago? Didn’t think it could get much better than that? Well, it did! Vera Bradley is giving away a trip to Mackinac Island. The Grand Prize winner will win a trip FOR FOUR to the Grand Hotel for a three-night stay. Included is airfare FOR FOUR from anywhere within the continental U.S., ferry tickets, and selected meals. OH. MY. GOSH!! Deadline to enter is March 10, and you can only enter once . . . . hurry and get your name in! http://insidestitch.com/2012/02/10/its-your-chance-to-get-away. Also – FOUR 1st Prize winners will receive a Vera Bradley Grand Traveler ($118 value) in the Spring color of your choice.
These last two photos (one of which is the beautiful header photo today) are from good Island friend Liz Burt, who teaches at the Mackinac Island Public School. Her blog is quiltedturtle.blogspot.com.
That’s it for this week. Hope everyone is doing well and getting just the right amount of snow. God bless.