Posted by: bree1972 | September 18, 2012

The Mellower Season 9/18/2012

We have a Mystery Spot winner!  She is Mariann Arendsen from Zeeland, MI!  Please see end of this post for the correct answer!

Autumn is the mellower season . . . .  Samuel Butler

When the noon siren blew today, I glanced at the thermometer, and it read 48 degrees.  It finally inched its way into the low 50’s this afternoon, and the rest of the week calls for more of the same.  We haven’t seen our first 30-something morning yet, but I have a feeling it could be soon.  So – I have plans to spend one morning or one afternoon this week pulling out sweaters, sweat shirts, rain gear, overcoats, gloves, neck wraps, and earmuffs and packing away sleeveless blouses, flip-flops and shorts.  That’s another thing we’ve learned about the U.P.  When Fall walks in the door, it doesn’t change its mind and walk back out a few days later  It is here to stay – so get prepared!

Ted took the dogs for a good, long walk up to Lookout Point and Ft. Holmes Monday and while he was there, grabbed some photos from as high up on the Island as you can go.

From the Lookout, it’s easy to see that the hardwood trees are just on the verge of turning gold. Did you spot the private tour carriage at the base of Sugar Loaf?

Here’s a closer view!

Bear enjoyed the wind at the top of the Island – Ft. Holmes.

What a view!  We’ll try to walk back up there in a week or so to check out how things have changed with the trees.

Downtown there are images of Fall everywhere – like those two baskets of bright yellow mums sitting on the fence posts at the Windermere Hotel.

It’s been normal over the last week to see rain out over the Straits . . .

. . . dark clouds over the Grand Hotel . . .

. . . and on Monday – while I was working at the Stuart House – rain!

Fall continues to bring Bree’s Blog readers to the Island, and several stopped by on Monday – like Jeff and Jacob from Garden City, MI (we had to stand inside because of the rain) . . .

. . . Mary, daughter Rory, and Goldendoodle McNally (husband and dad David took the photo) from Houston, TX . . .

. . . and Joyce, Al and Muriel from Indiana. This family loves to Geo-Cache . . .

. . . and next summer, good Lord willing, maybe we’ll do a blog story about their adventures while they’re here on one of their “expeditions”!

Thanks also to Cathy Cislak from Indianapolis (didn’t get a photo, darn it) who dropped by to leave some doggie treats for Bear and Maddie, which they wanted me to thank you for, Cathy!  Bear said, “Could she come to the Island more often, please!”

Reader Photos

Rebecca Bruner photographed the Round Island Lighthouse on August 9, 2012, near the spot where her wedding was held on August 12 at Windermere Point.

Jennifer Gilbert.  Jennifer was here in June working on an article about families visiting Mackinac Island for www.southshoreparent.com. She stayed at the Island House Hotel and loved this window (and the view) from the sitting room inside the hotel.

Craig Wicks – Roanoke, Virginia. This photo is from Criag’s visit in 2001 and shows the Shepler Ferry dock at sunrise.

Fran from Florida. Fran visited the Island with her two boys, and this photo shows one of them, at the garden on French Lane, trying to find all the Seek & Find items.

Neil Heineka – Benson, Illinois. Neil and his wife Erica have been coming to the Island for 10 years, beginning shortly after their marriage. They hope one day to summer here. Now they bring their two daughters and stay at Stone Cliffe, where the girls can play on the wide lawn, and they enjoy music on the portico and the marvelous views.

Lori Henes. Lori and her husband planned a vow renewal ceremony for Labor Day weekend – just the two of them. But her husband had other ideas. He contacted all their children and her mom and dad. On Sunday, the day of their vow renewal, the family surprised Lori and attended the service. This photo is Lori’s of the Grand Hotel flowers.

Mystery Spot

The object of the Mystery Spot is to be the first to identify where the object is located. When you think you have the answer, email me at brendasumnerhorton@hotmail.com. I’ll check my email several times a day, and as soon as we have a winner, I’ll post the winner’s name at the top of this blog so you can stop guessing (you may have to refresh your page for this to show up). Is there a prize for the winner?  Yes there is; but the prize is secret, and the only ones who will know what it is are the winners. To be fair, I’m asking residents of Mackinac Island to please NOT guess. This is just for readers who don’t live here . . . but would like to! And the Mystery Spot is   . . . .

Something a little different – not WHERE is it, but WHAT is it?

Again, please email your answers to me at brendasumnerhorton@hotmail.com.  PLEASE DO NOT ANSWER IN THE “COMMENTS” SECTION OF THE BLOG.  Remember, I’ll post the winner at the top of this blog as soon as someone gives the correct answer.

That’s all for tonight.  I’ll see you back here on Thursday night or Friday morning!  Stay warm!

MYSTERY SPOT ANSWER

The Mystery Spot is the lantern on a Grand Hotel carriage. So many readers guessed correctly that it was a “lantern on a carriage”, but I needed to know “which” carriage.

About these ads

Responses

  1. Thanks for today’s photos! The we’re exactly the cure for my Island withdrawals (we were up last week). Sitting in traffic, meetings, and other silly places that the real world deems important (they’re not) had me daydreaming to simpler ways on the Island. And to think it was 78 last Tuesday… And in the 50’s today. But, I’d of traded for a bit of Mackinac Fall today!

  2. I KNOW what it is!! ;)
    Not sure if I like the cooler weather yet or not…still wanting summer to hang around just a little longer. But then again, if we have another winter like we had last year…well, that would be ok too. Love seeing pictures of blog readers, always fun to put a face to the name, except Joyce of course…know her and family. (Hi Joyce!). From what I hear, they have had some awesome experiences with their geocaching including getting lost. ;)

    • Hi Hilde! We have had many fun times geocaching but boy, getting lost on this last one did scare me just a bit. Lesson no. 1, always mark your starting point. Yikes!

  3. My son’s teacher told me he talks about Mackinac Island daily in his 3rd grade class- that he relates things they are studying in class back to the Island! Another Island lover at such a young age!

  4. Was just in the U.P. last week, during the, big wind and cool down. Love this weeks pictures.It always amazes me, how long so many of the summer flowers hang on.

  5. Dear Bree,

    My husband and I just returned from Nebraska coping with the sudden death of his father. We’re both so stricken with sadness. I logged on to your blog this afternoon and while gazing at your photos, remembered telling Dad about our quick trip north last month. He was so happy for our little get-away! Thank you for soothing my heart with the scenes of our happy memories before Dad’s passing.

    Paula Engle

  6. Beautiful pictures Brenda and Ted! I am going to miss your Mackinac Island posts. It is a bitter sweet time knowing everything is going to be closing down soon, but I look forward to making my last trip of the year next month. I hope the weather is nice!

  7. I just saw a lady from Ohio outside the TODAY show and she was wearing a MACKINAC ISLAND, MICHIGAN sweat shirt. I thought everyone should have this important inforemation.

    Ted, very good pictures. I enjoyed every one of them.

    • I was home sick yesterday, watching the Today show, and saw the same woman! Love it!

  8. Hey Brenda! Was great seeing you again. We had a great, relaxing trip. Your pictures really do justice to how the island “feels” in early fall. It was a nice pace compared to when I am usually there in the summer. I also stopped by and talked to Jill at the bookstore, and my friend Linda at Star Line in St. Ignace. It is always great to connect with the islanders that I have come to know over the years.

    Also I’m glad you snapped the mums at Windermere. I was admiring them every time we walked through the front gate while staying there.

    I have never been to the top of the island at the lookout point, I already have a list now of things to do next year! There was a little color I noticed on the island, but your pictures show more than I had noticed. Coming back home, there was quite a bit of color already that wasn’t there four days ago. It continued all the way almost to Bay CIty.

    Looking forward to posts through the rest of the fall!

  9. Hi Bree, I love seeing you pictures, it holds me over until my next trip, which this year is this weekend. Of course now its says there is a 60% chance of rain on Saturday. I keep telling myself the island is pretty in sunshine or rain, but I am sure praying for the 40% no chance to come through.

    Thank you so much for what you do, your blog is truly a gift. And who knows, maybe we’ll run into each other this weekend. I am so excited to go again.

  10. Would love to take you out on one of our geocaching expeditions next summer Brenda so you can do a blog on it. It really is quite fun to do and I’m thinking your grandchildren would love it as well since they seem to enjoy the spelunking they have done with Ted while on the island. :)


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Categories

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 727 other followers

%d bloggers like this: